After a long wait, BET is finally giving Being Mary Jane an ending.
The moments we've all been waiting for ???????? RT if you'll be watching APR 16 9/8c for the #BeingMaryJane 2-Hour Series Finale! https://t.co/xD4aO4vOd3
Yesterday (Mar. 18), the show tweeted the trailer for the 2-hour series finale that will air on Apr. 16 at 9/8c.
Here's what we know from the trailer:
- Justin asks Mary Jane to marry him.
- Gabrielle Union's former castmate (The Brothers) Morris Chestnut makes an appearance.
- Mary Jane has a secret that she needs to tell Justin.
- Mary Jane's mother did something to almost destroy the entire family.
- Mary Jane and Morris Chestnut's character have sex.
- Somebody goes to the hospital.
- There's something heavy that Kara might have to tell her kids.
- Niecy might have someone who is genuinely interested in her.
- Justin (Michael Ealy) and Morris Chestnut have a full-on brawl in the newsroom.
The last time that the show was on the air was in 2017. In 2016, Union hit BET with a $3million lawsuit for breach of contract. Due to budget cuts, the network allegedly tried to have the cast film more episodes than what was stated under contract.
“Although BET represented and assured Ms. Union before she agreed to perform in Being Mary Jane that it would never produce more than thirteen (13) episodes per season of the series,” the suit says, “BET now wants to shoot twenty (20) episodes of the series back-to-back and cram all of the episodes into a single season in order to fraudulently extend the term of Ms. Union’s contract, with no additional consideration, and to deprive Ms. Union of her agreed-upon compensation for the next two seasons of Being Mary Jane. It is outrageous that BET would treat one of its biggest stars in this manner after all she has done to support the network and contribute to its success," the lawsuit stated.
Glennisha Morgan is a Detroit-bred multimedia journalist and writer. She writes about intersectionality, hip-hop, pop culture, queer issues, race, feminism, and her truth. Follow her on Twitter @GlennishaMorgan