NBC News is reporting that ‘Hurricane Dorian has begun to inch toward the U.S. after virtually stalling over the Bahamas where it caused devastation and was blamed for at least five deaths.
The Latest on Dorian:
- The hurricane was moving northwest toward the U.S. from the Bahamas at a slow pace of 1 mph as of 8 a.m.
- The storm had maximum sustained winds of about 120 mph and was just north of Grand Bahama Island. Isolated rainfall of over 30 inches in northwestern Bahamas could cause “life-threatening flash floods.”
- At least five people have died in the Abaco Islands, Bahamian officials say. A woman told Eyewitness News Bahamas that her 8-year-old grandson was killed in a possible drowning.
- Officials say Dorian is set to come “dangerously close” to Florida’s east coast late Tuesday through Wednesday evening, very near the Georgia and South Carolina coasts Wednesday night and Thursday, and near or over North Carolina’s coast late Thursday.
- Several airports including in Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach and Orlando have shut down their operations. As of Tuesday morning, more than 1,500 flights within, out of or into the U.S. had been cancelled, according to Flight Aware, an aviation data company. Amtrak also canceled some of its East Coast service.
- More than 70 nursing homes and assisted living facilities have evacuated along Florida’s east coast. Many of the state’s toll roads are suspended, and several ports have closed. In addition, more than 85 shelters are open statewide.
- Six counties east of Interstate 95 in Georgia were ordered to evacuate, Gov. Brian Kemp says.”
Source: Read more here: NBC News